Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Brett's 20th Birthday

Today would have been Brett's 20th birthday. All I could think was how much I would have loved to have seen what he would have looked like at 20. He was so handsome at 17 I can't imagine what 20 would have brought. The whole family visited the grave and put flowers and almost balloons. The balloons somehow escaped out the car window thru a 2 inch opening in the window! No one could figure that one out but everybody said the same thing "That's Brett doing that! That is SO him, laughing his tail off at his balloons taking off even before we got to the cemetary." It was so bittersweet and made me realize, as I do every single day, how much we all miss Brett's off the charts sense of humor. Why can't anyone else be at funny as he was???

And, again, I am forced to defend him in the press. A huge story on Salvia appeared in the NY Times yesterday. I actually spoke to the reporter who wrote the story and provided him with much insight before the actual publication. He got everything right except for the fact, which I thought I had impressed upon him, that when Brett's Law was written Dennis and I specifically asked for a clause to be added allowing for scientific research to be allowed with salvia, especially if there's the slightest chance it could help some disease or disability. Senator Peterson called me yesterday and we discussed this and she said people are so unaware, that even if we hadn't included that clause specifically, laws already on the books allow any drug to be used for research. You DON'T even need to add that stipulation. Wonder why people can't get that? It's really not that hard of a concept to grasp. Of course the salvia users are the ones posting the emails full of outrage about scientific research being stymied. Get real, folks, we are on to you and know that you're not interested in the slightest about helping others, you're too busy getting wasted.

I love the quote someone sent me the other day:

"Stand your ground, putting on the sturdy belt of truth.

Ephesians 6:14 NLT

The belt of truth

"You will know the truth, and the truth will set you free," says Jesus (John 8:32). But what will the truth set us free from?

First of all, it sets us free from the snares of deception. When people know the truth, they can't be taken in by a lie. You can't convince people to believe in something that they know in their hearts and minds is false.

The truth will also set you free from guilt and shame. When you've held tightly to the truth, you don't have to worry about a lie coming back to haunt you. You don't spend your nights lying awake wondering what words of deception might trap and ensnare you. You are free to live with a clean conscience and an innocent heart."

I had just said to someone the other day "I'm so glad that from Day 1 I told the truth about Brett, the months leading up to his death, the things we found about Salvia, etc. I really believe if you tell the truth you NEVER have to remember what you said." If you check out ALL the many, many, many news reports and articles I've done you will see the details never change. I never have to think about what I said before. It's so easy when you're truthful. So, I guess without knowing it I have put on "the sturdy belt of truth." Brett would love that.

No comments: